Cookbook:Pigeon Pea and Fenugreek Curry (Methi Tadka Dal)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Methi Tadka Dal)
|Pigeon Pea and Fenugreek Curry (Methi Tadka Dal)|
|Category||Side dish recipes|
- ½ cup red lentils (toor dal)
- 2 cups water
- 2 handfuls of methi leaves (only the leaves without the tender stem)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 big onion
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1-2 green chillis, sliced
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- One small dollop of butter
- Small piece of ginger (optional)
- 2 spoonfuls ghee
- ½ small spoon of mustard seeds
- ½ small spoon of zheera (cumin)
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 2 red chillis
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- Chilli powder
- Ground coriander
- Lemon juice
- Mix all above and put them in an Indian cooker (pressure cooker). Wait until the dal is cooked ( 4 whistles ).
- Heat the ghee in a pan, and add the mustard seeds, zheera, garlic, red chillis, and curry leaves. Fry until the garlic is golden.
- Add the chopped tomato, salt, chilli powder, and coriander to taste.
- Add the cooked dal mixture to the fried mixture, and let it simmer. You can add water if you like it to be more like gravy.
- Add two drops of lemon juice for added taste.
- Serve with hot rice, and an optional touch of Gongura pickle.