Maple Beans is a modification of the standard Baked Beans made throughout much of Europe and North America. This variant is common through south and central Quebec as well as most of Ontario and can be purchased in cans across Canada.
- Wash beans and place in a saucepan with the water. Cover and bring to a boil, check regularly.
- When water has reached the boiling point, time for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Let sit for 1 hour, covered.
- After the hour, return beans and water to heat and bring to a simmer, still covered. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain beans and water through a colander, collecting the liquids for later use in a bowl.
- Finely dice the sweet onion and in a bowl mix with the salt, mustard and maple syrup. Add 625 mL (2 1/2 cups) of the aforementioned bean-water to the mix and blend well.
- Finely slice the bacon, place in roast pan/casserole dish and cover with the beans pour the liquid mixture over the beans.
- Cover and bake for 3 hours at 165°C (325°F), adding 125 mL (1/2 cup) of bean-water at the 2 1/2 hour mark.
- Melt butter and combine with brown sugar. Pour over the baked beans and bake, uncovered, until liquid is no longer visible.