- Soak dry beans overnight, or use 4 cans cooked beans.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir all ingredients together, then pour into casserole dish, bean pot or Dutch oven.
- Add water from beans, or preferably stock or fresh water. Just enough to barely cover. Canned beans may need less water. Beans will absorb more water as they cook.
- Bake 2½ hours. Check after an hour for moisture level, add more water as needed to keep appropriate moistness. If beans have too much liquid, remove lid and cook a bit longer.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- A slow cooker may be used: cook 2½ hours on High, or 5 hours on Low.