- Dice the lamb and set aside. Preheat oven to 325F / 170C / Gas Mark 3.
- Slice the potatoes and dice the onions.
- Add a layer of the potatoes to the bottom of a casserole dish, and cover with a handful of the diced onion. Layer the diced lamb on top of this, sprinkling with your choice of herbs.
- Repeat these layers until the dish is full. Top with a final layer of the potatoes.
- Pour boiling water into the dish until filled - if more water is needed, continue to add until topped.
- Bake for at least one hour, though traditionally the dish was left baking all day, longer times are required for Mutton.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- A handful of mixed vegetables such as parsnips, turnips, leek or carrots can be added to the dish. It is worth experimenting to find out what combination of flavours you prefer.
- The dish has occasionally been known to be cooked with oysters or with small birds such as snipe, when they were available.
- Flavour can be improved by adding a stock cube to the boiling water.
- Many people like to add in small quantities of instant gravy granules to add a little flavour to the dish.