Cookbook:Jalapeno Sausage and Bacon Appetizers (Atomic Buffalo Turds)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Appetizers | Texas cuisine
Atomic Buffalo Turds (also known as ABTs) are a variation of the jalapeño popper.
- Jalapeño peppers
- Cream cheese
- Cocktail sausages
- Bacon slices
- Halve the jalapeño peppers lengthwise and scrape out membrane and seeds.
- Fill the peppers with cream cheese, and then place a cocktail sausage on top of the cream cheese.
- Cut the bacon slices in half, and wrap each halved pepper in bacon. A cocktail stick or toothpick can be used to hold the ABTs together if needed.
- Cook the ABTs by barbecuing, baking, or grilling. They are done when the bacon is crisped and the jalapeño has softened but not to the point of collapsing. When oven-baked or indirectly grilled, they are typically cooked at approximately 275˚F (135˚C) for two hours, or until bacon is crisped.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Try using cheddar cheese or other cheese in place of the cream cheese.
- If the heat of the jalapeño peppers does not appeal, bell peppers may be used instead—quarter the bell peppers and scrape out the seeds before filling.
- The ABTs can be basted with a barbecue sauce before being cooked.