On the night before you plan to cook
- In a large pot, add the chickpeas, 2.5 cups of water, and baking soda. Leave to soak for 6-12 hours.
Cook the peas
- Add the rinsed peas to 3 cups of water, the garlic, and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. After about 45 minutes, they should swell enough for their skins to come off. Give it a stir, and use a sieve spoon to remove as many of the skins as you can from the water.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking for about 2 hours, or until they almost dissolve to a paste.
- Pour out the water. (optionally, some can be reserved to add later, for extra flavor)
- Mash the peas by pressing them through a pasta sieve.
- If it doesn't work, you haven't cooked them enough. or use a food processor!
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Add tahini and water until you get the right consistency.
Some cooks add tahini concentrate and lemon juice, instead of diluted tahini.
- ground cumin
- fresh, coarsely cut coriander leaves