- 4 cups (950ml) unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) warm water, more if needed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (optional, for thicker and chewier tortillas)
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- With a pastry blender, a fork, or your hands, gradually work in the lard or shortening until it is all incorporated.
- Add enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1/4 cup (3 oz / 90g) portions and form them into balls.
- Roll each ball into a flat round about 6 inches (15cm) in diameter and 1/8 inches (0.3cm) thick.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the tortillas one at a time into the dry (or very lightly oiled) hot skillet; cook until browned in spots on one side, then turn and brown the other in spots side. (about 1 minute/side, see image)
- Remove from the skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.
Recipes using flour tortillas includeEdit