(Redirected from Cookbook:Tortilla)
Tortillas are a type of flatbread popular in Mexico and Central America, commonly made from wheat flour or masa. This recipe is for the masa (corn) variety; see Flour Tortilla for the wheat flour version.
- In a large bowl, stir together the masa and salt.
- Add the water, and mix together well.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1/4 cup (3 oz / 90g) portions and form them into balls.
- Roll each ball into a flat round about 6 inches (10cm) in diameter and 1/8 inches (0.25cm) thick.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Place the tortillas one at a time into the dry hot skillet; cook until brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.
- Remove from the skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.