Fairy Cakes are the British term for what Americans call cupcakes. A common variant on fairy cakes is butterfly cakes, where the top of the cake is cut out and shaped to look like butterfly wings.
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla or lemon extract until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the sifted flour alternately with the milk.
- Three-quarters fill 18 well-greased paper patty cases or well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 180°C for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a cake rack.
- If you want to make the fairy cakes into butterfly cakes:
- Cut out a small circle in the top of each cake (using a small knife) and cut each circle in half.
- Spoon a little jam in the centre hollow and top with whipped cream.
- Arrange the "wings" into the cream.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.