Cookbook:Egg, Cheese and Phyllo Casserole (Banitsa)
This is a popular dish from Bulgaria and can be eaten on its own or as part of a main meal. This recipe will serve 2-3 people and can be prepared in less than an hour. This recipe is adapted from Ralitsa Roesing's kitchen.
- 2 packets of phyllo dough, a low fat pastry, (Bulgarian "fini kori" or phyllo from the frozen desserts section)
- 200 grams of yellow cheese (Bulgarian kashkaval or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 500 grams of white cheese (Bulgarian sirene or Feta cheese)
- 7 eggs
- 100 grams of butter
- 1/2 cup of soda water
- 1 cup yogurt
- Mix six of the eggs, the grated butter, the crumbled white cheese, the yellow cheese cut in small pieces, and the yogurt.
- In a buttered pan, lay a layer of the phyllo dough, spread a layer of the mixture, and continue alternating layers so that the phyllo and the mixture are finished about the same time.
- Finish with a layer of phyllo dough.
- Cut the banitsa into serving pieces.
- Mix the last egg with the soda water and stir.
- Pour the mixture over the banitsa and make sure there are no pieces of the phyllo dough left dry.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C (390 °F) for 40 minutes, or until golden. Enjoy!
Alternative: Instead of piling the phyllo leaves on top of each other, just spread the mixture on the phyllo, top with a little soda and roll two of the leaves up around the mixture. The rolled phyllo is then aligned in a spiral in the pan. Sprinkle with some oil before baking.
Same as the regular banitsa recipe, but substitute 3 eggs with 1/2 kilogram spinach, washed, cut and lightly fried (no more than five minutes).
Green Onion BanitsaEdit
Same as the regular banitsa recipe, but substitute 3 eggs with 5-10 stalks of green onion (about 1 cup diced onion), lightly fried (no more than ten minutes).