Cookbook:Phyllo Dough(Redirected from Cookbook:Phyllo dough)
- For 1 kg of all-purpose flour
- 50 ml (4 tbsp) of oil
- 300 to 400 ml (1 2/3 - 2 cups) of hot water
- Mix all the ingredients with a mixer with dough hooks or with your hands. Remember to use hot water, e.g., hottest from the tap. Mix until you get a smooth, elastic but not sticking dough.
- Let it rest for some hours, preferably in the fridge wrapped in plastic.
- Cut into small amounts. Flatten them using a pasta maker. Follow the same procedure of your machine as for pasta: pass it several times in the machine size 1, folding, it in two until you get a nicely shaped dough. Then increment each time the size on the machine until you reached the desired size.
- You can alternatively use a rolling pin with a lot of courage.
The phyllo dough is used in several countries. It would be certainly hard to find the perfect recipe for all applications. You might want to adjust the quantity of oil (from 1 cl to 1 dl). One might also add lemon juice, vinegar, spirit, salt or even white of eggs.