- Put all ingredients into stockpot and start cooking slowly over medium heat.
- When the ingredients get warm, put some of them into a blender, liquefy them, and pour back into the pot. This helps thicken the soup.
- Cook until the potatoes get soft all the way through and start getting translucent, stirring every few minutes to get the contents off the bottom of the pot.
- If storing then proceed to the section on long term storage.
- To serve, add ½ cup whole milk, 1 tbsp unsalted butter, and ¼ cup romano cheese per pint of hot soup.
Short term storage (<3 days)
- Refrigerate at under 40°F (2°C) for no more than 3 days.
Long term storage (>3 days)
- Pour into 16-ounce (1-pint) mason jars leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) headspace.
- Process 90 minutes in a pressure canner at 10 (11 for dial) pounds, adjusted for your altitude.
Notes, tips, and variations
- It is recommended that you use all the optional ingredients or this will taste bland.