- In a metal 1-quart mixing bowl, dissolve coffee in water.
- Add the chocolate and set on top of a pan of gently simmering water.
- When the chocolate has softened completely but is not hot, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Beat in the cold butter a small piece at a time, adding a new piece as soon as the previous one is almost absorbed.
- Beat with a hand-held electric mixer until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Continue beating for a few minutes to cool. (This can also be done in a stand mixer, fitted with the whip attachment.)
- Add half of the jalapeños and taste. Add more jalapeño to your taste; remember that the heat will intensify with time. Try for a balance of sweet and heat.
- Scrape into a small, deep container, press a piece of plastic wrap on the surface, and chill overnight, until completely firm.
- Scoop out small balls and roll in the cocoa powder.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- Roll the balls in finely chopped pistachios, almonds or macadamia nuts.