Chicken cacciatore is a classic Italian chicken dish. It is reddish, and the tomato adds a distinct flavor.
For 4 servings:
- 1 ½ cups (360ml), chopped onion
- 3 lbs (1350g), chicken parts with skin removed
- 14 oz (400g) can of tomatoes with juice
- 5 ½ oz. (155g) can of tomato paste
- 10 oz. (280g) can of mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried whole oregano
- ½ tsp dried sweet basil
- ¼ cup (60ml) of white wine, chicken broth, or alcohol-free white wine
- ½ tsp liquid gravy browner
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Place onion and chicken in 3 ½ quart (3.5L) slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Stir.
- Pour over chicken and cover the chicken.
- Cook on low for six to eight hours or on high for three to four hours.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.