Cheese sauce is a variation of Béchamel Sauce.
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon mustard (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 pinches of salt as desired
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk together over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, to make a white roux. Do not allow to brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool nearly to room temperature.
- Add hot heavy whipping cream to the roux and whisk to combine. This will also work with a hot roux and room temperature heavy cream or milk.
- Add the salt, cheese and mustard and heat till just simmering and cheese has melted.
- If desired, you may bring the sauce to a boil; once the cheese sauce has come to a boil, lower the heat to low and very slowly summer for about 45 minutes. Stir it every so often to avoid sticking to the bottom (a whisk is appropriate here). Do not allow the sauce to brown. The longer the sauce is simmered, the smoother it becomes due to the cooking and swelling of the starch grains.
Terrific cheese sauce based on a white sauce, that can be used along with Salsa on Nacho chips.
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2.5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup grated cheese (pizza, mozzarella, or cheddar)
- Dash of mustard
- Dash of nutmeg
- Melt margarine/butter, and mix together with flour to make a roux.
- Add milk, and warm in microwave or on stovetop.
- Add cheese while heating and mixing. If using microwave, heat and mix in 20 second increments until cheese is incorporated smoothly.
- Add mustard and nutmeg, mix