Cookbook:Bobotie (South African Minced Meat and Egg)
Bobotie is a bit like a shepherd's pie.
Meat mixture Edit
- Minced beef
- Curry powder
- Bay leaf
- Dried fruit (e.g. apricots, sultanas; optional)
- Almonds (optional)
- Slow cook the beef with the curry powder, turmeric, coriander, cloves, cumin, bay leaf, dried fruit, and almonds.
- Meanwhile, steam the rice with turmeric, raisins, and cloves.
- Place the meat mixture in a bowl, top with egg custard, and bake in the oven until the custard browns.
- Serve with the cooked rice and fruit chutney.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- The dried fruit and almonds are optional but give the bobotie a wonderful sweet and sour flavour.