Steamed rice is a simple dish, but some individuals have trouble cooking it. Common issues include adding too much rice or water, and not following the package directions.
This recipe for steamed rice is failsafe and does not require the use of a special rice cooker or microwave.
- Wash the rice if desired.
- Place the rice in a deep saucepan with lid. Add salt if using, and stir.
- Bring rice to a boil over high heat. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Cook on low for 12 minutes.
- Uncover rice and serve.
- This formula can be easily scaled up or down. The universal rule with cooking steamed rice is that the proportion of water should be double that of the rice. If you use one cup of rice you must use two cups of water. If you use two cups of rice you must use four cups of water.
- 1 cup dry rice is enough for three adults.