This recipe should provide good foundation for further experimentation if you are so inclined.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Dry toast the chopped pecans until fragrant and slightly colored. This can either be done in a dry skillet on the stove top over medium high heat while stirring frequently or else by roasting the nuts in the oven on a cookie sheet while you prepare the batter. The stove top method is faster but requires more attention. It is also possible to buy dry toasted nuts instead of raw to avoid this step. The pecans should be crunchy and nutty, not rubbery or mealy.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until uniform, breaking any large lumps of sugar.
- Beat in egg until creamy.
- Gently fold in flour mixture. When flour is nearly incorporated, gently fold in toasted pecans. Do not overmix.
- Spread mixture into buttered 8"x8" (20cm x 20cm) baking dish.
- Bake @ 325°F (170°C) for 30 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Let cool and cut into bars.