Cookbook:Steamed Basmati Rice
(Redirected from Cookbook:Basmati rice)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
This is a fragrant, long-grain variety of rice often used in Indian recipes. Basmati can be cooked in the same way as other rice, in the ratio of two cups water to one cup rice. The recipe below helps to bring out the flavour of basmati.
For 4 servings:
- If adding saffron, soak it in a tablespoon or two of hot water for 10 minutes, and add the water and strands in with the lemon juice.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve for 5–7 minutes under cold running water.
- Add the water, rice, butter, and salt to a pot.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Mix in lemon juice and the saffron mixture if using.
- Cover the pot tightly, reduce heat to minimum, and simmer for 8½ minutes.
- Taste the rice to check its texture. Cook for 1–5 minutes longer depending on how underdone it is.
- Fluff with a fork and serve hot with your favorite recipe.
Steamed basmati rice goes well with the following:
- Indian Curries
- Chili con carne