- Preheat the oven to 450° F (225° C).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter. Add sugar. Add the milk and mix with a knife until obtaining a soft, not sticky, dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured board and knead it quickly until it is smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about ½ inch (12 mm) thickness. Cut 16 rounds with a 2-inch fluted cookie cutter and transfer them to a buttered cookie sheet. Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake towards top of the hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve tea scones with butter, whipped cream, and jam.
- Raisin scones: add 1-2 Tbsp raisins with the sugar.
- Lemon and raisin scones: add 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel and 1-2 Tbsp raisins with the sugar.
- Orange and cherry scones: add 1 tsp finely grated orange peel and 1-2 Tbsp finely chopped candied cherries, washed and dried, with the sugar.
- Date and walnut scones: add 1 Tbsp finely chopped dates and 1 Tbsp finely chopped shelled walnuts with the sugar.
- Cinnamon scones: sift 1 tsp cinnamon with the flour.
- Ginger scones: sift ½ tsp ground ginger with flour.
- Honey scones: use 1 Tbsp honey and reduce the ½ cup milk to 7 Tbsp.
- Chocolate chip: mix in 2 tbsp chocolate chips