Cookbook:Atomic Fudge Cake
|Atomic Fudge Cake|
A delicious chocolate cake recipe.
- 2 cups (470 ml) white sugar
- 1 ¾ cup (415 ml) flour
- 1 ¾ cups (415 ml) baking cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (5ml)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (235 ml) milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (235 ml) boiling water
- Mix the dry ingredients well in a large bowl. For better texture, sift the dry ingredients together with a sieve or sifter.
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vegetable oil, and mix well. Add the water, and mix it until it has a lot of little bubbles. This batter will be very thin.
- Pour into two greased 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes (about 20 minutes for a convection oven), or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remember not to over-bake the cake, as it may become really dry and lose all its moisture.
- Cool the cakes completely, then unmold them.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a double boiler.
- Mix the sugar and cocoa together in a small bowl, then mix in the water.
- Stir the sugar/cocoa/water mix into the melted chocolate.
- Quickly stir in the cream and mix until it has a nice smooth consistency.
- Immediately 'frost' the cake with this, making sure that there is quite a bit between the two layers of cake. The cake will need to be refrigerated to harden the fudge, so don't worry about its relatively liquid nature.
- Refrigerate cake.
- Serve warm after refrigeration. To serve, slice a piece and microwave it for about 20 seconds. It is heavenly as the fudge melts and soaks into the cake. Serve with ice cream if you so desire.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- Higher quality chocolate and baking cocoa will make a HUGE difference in this cake. It is very worth the extra expense.
- A hot fudge sauce to go over top of the cake is a nice extra touch.
- Don't try and substitute unsweetened chocolate for the dark chocolate.
- Spices such as cinnamon can be added to the frosting if desired.