Cookbook:Tofu in Spiced Coconut Sauce
(Redirected from Cookbook:Amar's Tofu)
|Tofu in Spiced Coconut Sauce|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Tofu
- 6–8 whole cardamom pods
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds
- ½ tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–2 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 extra-firm or firm tofu block, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ½ cup currants
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup creamy 2% plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp butter (optional)
- ½ cup coconut milk (optional)
- ¼ cup (or more) slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- ⅛ cup toasted coconut threads or flakes (optional)
- Crack open the cardamom pods. Reserve the seeds; discard the shells.
- Heat oil to quite hot but not smoking in a pan. Add spices and bay leaf. Cook until seeds crack (1–2 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic, then cook until tender and translucent.
- Reserve onion, garlic, spices to a side dish.
- Season tofu with salt and pepper. Fry, adding oil if needed. When tofu is heated through, sauté until lightly brown (5–8 minutes).
- Add reserved onion/spice mixture.
- Add currants and sauté for 3–5 minutes. At this point, the tofu may be cooled and chilled for re-heating the following day.
- Add sour cream, yogurt, coconut milk, and butter. Simmer until sauce has cooked down a little.
- Add toasted almonds and toasted coconut.
- Serve hot with Saffron Sweet Rice.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- When reheated, this dish tastes as well as, or better than, when freshly cooked!