- Bring the sugar, water and cream of tartar to boil over medium-low heat. Stir gently until syrup reaches 310°F (155°C/hard crack stage) or is pale brown. Syrup should harden completely when dropped on to a cold plate and snap between the teeth when cold.
- Pour the mixture onto an oiled heatproof work surface, and sprinkle with the citric acid.
- Use a greased spatula to fold in the sides and thoroughly work the acid in.
- When the candy is cool enough to touch but still pliable, roll it into sticks and snip off drop-sized bits.
- Sift powdered sugar onto the candies, and shake to coat.
- Allow to cool and harden completely. Store in an air-tight container.