Abnormal psychology focuses on the diagnosis, analysis, and treatment of various diseases relating to psychological disorders. This option concentrates on three main groups of disorders: anxiety, affective, and eating. Furthermore, there are three main groups for the therapeutic approaches to treating disorders: therapies, individual psychological therapies, and group psychological therapies. There are 4 overarching headings in developmental psychology, which together contain 12 learning outcomes.
- General Frameworks
- Concepts and Diagnosis
- Psychological Disorders
- PD1: Describe symptoms and prevalence of one disorder from two of the following groups: – anxiety disorders – affective disorders – eating disorders.
- PD2: Analyse etiologies (in terms of biological, cognitive and/or sociocultural factors) of one disorder from two of the following groups: – anxiety disorders – affective disorders – eating disorders.
- PD3: Discuss cultural and gender variations in prevalence of disorders.
- Implementing Treatment
- IT1: Examine biomedical, individual and group approaches to treatment.
- IT2: Evaluate the use of biomedical, individual and group approaches to the treatment of one disorder.
- IT3: Discuss the use of eclectic approaches to treatment.
- IT4: Discuss the relationship between etiology and therapeutic approach in relation to one disorder.