History of video games
This book will explore the history of a groundbreaking kind of media: video games.
This book explores major games and their characteristics, as well as the technological and social history that drove their development.
Everyone is welcome to contribute to this book!
Table of ContentsEdit
- Early Games - 1950's and earlier
- 1960-1969 - Early development
- 1970-1979 - Gaming enters the public view.
- 1980-1989 - Crash and revival
- 1990-1999 - 2D to 3D transition.
- 2000-2009 - Refined 3D and online gaming.
- 2010-2019 - Online refines, rise of esports.
- 2020-2029 - Present day.
- Computer Games
- Web Gaming
- Mobile Gaming
- Fantasy Computers and Consoles
- Calculator Gaming
Extended Reality HistoryEdit
Arcade Gaming HistoryEdit
Specialty Gaming HistoryEdit
Topics of special interest in gaming history.
Specialty Platforms & GenresEdit
Gaming Culture HistoryEdit
The labeling of a console as belonging to a certain generation is somewhat arbitrary, as console generations are partly determined by a mix of technology, release year, and social factors. This book uses labels that appear to have general consensus to reduce confusion.