History of video games/Retro gaming
Official Retro ConsolesEdit
The early 2000's saw the first releases of consoles that emulated older systems with officially licensed games. The late 2010's and 2020 saw many more companies release all in one systems.
FPGA based consoles use reprogrammable chips to mimic other hardware, potentially allowing for more efficient or accurate emulation than pure software emulation can.
An FPGA based NES compatible system.
Retro Bit Retro Duo PortableEdit
A clone system that supports SNES games out of the box, and NES, Sega Genesis, and Game Boy through adapters.
Yobo FC TwinEdit
Combination NES and SNES compatible console.
NES compatible system.
Hyperkin RetroN 5Edit
The RetroN 5 was shown off at E3 2013.
Hyperkin RetroN 77Edit
GB Boy ColorEdit
Game Boy Color clone.
Rather different from other consoles listed here, in that it's simply a Neo Geo MVS placed in a console formfactor.
Famicom Classic/ NES ClassicEdit
Super Famicom Classic/ SNES ClassicEdit
The Open Source Scan Converter is an low latency upscaler to convert old signals to work on modern displays.
An early upscaler for retro gaming.
- "MiSTer FPGA: The Future of Retro Game Emulation and Preservation?" (in en). 20 February 2019. https://www.racketboy.com/retro/mister-fpga-the-future-of-retro-game-emulation-and-preservation.
- "The RetroUSB AVS just replaced my childhood Nintendo" (in en). https://www.engadget.com/2016-09-12-retrousb-avs-review.html.
- Wilber, Jennifer. "Retro Duo NES and SNES Clone Console Review" (in en). https://levelskip.com/consoles/Retro-Duo-NES-and-SNES-Clone-Console-Review.
- "Thoughts of Thoughtfulness: A Review of The FC-Twin". 14 March 2013. https://thoughtsfromcharlie.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-review-of-fc-twin.html.
- "Hyperkin Retron 5 Uses Android To Emulate 9 Classic Consoles For Under $100 (No, You Can't Buy It Yet)". Android Police. 11 June 2013. https://www.androidpolice.com/2013/06/11/hyperkin-retron-5-uses-android-to-emulate-9-classic-consoles-for-under-100-no-you-cant-buy-it-yet/.
- "Hyperkin RetroN 5 Review" (in en). https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/hyperkin-retron-5. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Hyperkin Retron 5 combines ten consoles into one on December 10 for $99 (updated)" (in en). https://www.engadget.com/2013-09-19-hyperkin-retron-5-game-console-on-sale-december-10.html. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "RetroN 77 REVIEW – Pros & Cons + Gameplay". 22 June 2018. https://www.metaljesusrocks.com/reviews/retron-77-review-pros-cons-gameplay/. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Things We Love: Hyperkin RetroN 77" (in en). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/home-entertainment/hands-on-review/things-we-love-hyperkin-retron-77. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Omega Entertainment Machine - Consolized Neo Geo MVS Game Console" (in en). https://www.arcadeworks.net/products/omega-mvs.
- "Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)". https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc.html.
- "Upscalers". https://www.retrorgb.com/upscalers.html.