English for B2 Students/Unit 4
If I had €1,000,000, I would live in SpainEdit
Aim of this lesson: Recognize and use the different conditionals in English and revise means of transport.
Talk about these questions with a partner. Try to expand your answers and give reasons rather than short answers.
- Where did you go on your last holiday? How did you travel? Whom did you go with?
- What is your perfect holiday destination?
- Do you prefer beach holidays, city breaks, resorts or adventure holidays?
- Do you pack a lot of things or just the basics like clothes and money?
- What are the 5 most important tourist places in your country?
Grammar Focus - 1st, 2nd and 3rd conditionalsEdit
Conditional sentences are used to talk about possible situations and the result of those situations.
|1st conditional||if + present simple, will + infinitive||used to talk about possible situations||If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go to the seaside.|
|2nd conditional||if + past simple, would + infinitive||used to talk about hypothetical situations||If I became rich, I would buy an expensive villa in France.|
|3rd conditional||if + past perfect, would + have + past participle||used to talk about hypothetical situations in the past||If I hadn't gone to Egypt, I wouldn't have seen the pyramids|
Vocabulary - Travel & TransportEdit
Look at the table below. Do you know the correct definitions for these types of transport? Click on the text for the correct answers.
Speaking with conditional sentencesEdit
Work with a partner, if you can, and ask/answer these questions. If you're on your own you should think about these questions and write your answers instead.
- How long would it have taken you to get here if you had walked?
- How will you get to work if it rains tomorrow?
- If you were going to take a vacation, where would you go?
- If you could drive any car you wanted, what would it be?
- If you had gone to London on holiday last year, what would you have done?
Try these questions to see if you can use 1st, 2nd and 3rd conditionals correctly. The answers can be found here.
Complete the following sentences using the correct conditional form:
- If I were very rich, I _______________ in 5 star hotels (stay).
- If I _______________ (go out) on Saturday, I will drink red wine.
- If I hadn't woken up this morning, I _______________ about conditionals (not learn).
- If I could choose any wife, I _______________ Shakira (choose).
- I _______________ (buy) a new DVD if I get paid this week.
For further information about conditional sentences see Tenses and Forms.