Zhug is the hot condiment used for adding flavor and spice to foods. Its preparation varies, depending upon local use.
- 1 T cumin
- 1 tsp. black pepper (ground)
- 1 tsp. caraway seed
- 3–4 pods of cardamom
- 4 red, very hot dried cayenne peppers
- 1 head of fresh garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- After removing stems from cayenne peppers and peels from garlic, grind and blend all the above ingredients. Store in a sealed jar.
- 2-3 red chilli peppers (quantity as desired)
- 4-5 green chilli peppers (quantity as desired)
- batch of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2-3 heads of fresh garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 T salt
- 1 C of water
- olive oil (dash)
- After removing stems from cayenne peppers and peels from garlic, grind and blend the vegetables together, along with chopped coriander.
- Add water and salt and other dry ingredients. Blend all togetrher again. Store in a sealed jar.
- 2 bundles of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 4 heads of garlic
- 4-5 red chilli peppers (or hot green peppers) - depending on level of sharpness
- 1 T of cumin
- 2 T of sweet red paprika
- ½ tsp of citric acid (lemon salt)
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ C of olive oil
- Blend together the garlic (peeled), cayenne peppers, and fresh coriander.
- After blending, add olive oil and continue to blend together.
- Place ground mixture into bowl and add thereto sweet paprika, cumin, salt and citric acid. Mix together.
- Store in refrigerator within plastic or glass jar with a layer of olive oil poured over it.