Cookbook:Warm Black Bean Salad with Kale and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, undrained
- 4 cups chopped kale, firmly packed
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- White sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt into the pan. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and black beans with their liquid. Cook 2 minutes; mash the beans with the back of your spatula, leaving some beans intact.
- Reduce heat to low; add kale, cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until kale is tender and mixture has thickened. Stir in lemon juice and tomato; taste and add more salt if desired. Garnish with white sesame seeds.