Cookbook:Vetkoek (South African Fried Dough)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Vetkoek)
Vetkoek is a South African fried dough. It can be savory or sweet—the recipe below makes sweet doughnut-like pastries.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Add water, and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, and cover it tightly. Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a pot (target temperature should be around 350-375˚F).
- Shape the dough into balls, and add to the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pot or let the temperature drop too much.
- Continue turning the dough balls until golden brown all over and cooked through.
- Serve hot or cold with cold or hot beverage.