Cookbook:Tuna Salad (1940)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
This classic tuna salad recipe is from the 1940's U.S.
- 1 can (6–9½ oz / ~170–270 g) tuna
- ¼ apple, finely chopped
- ½ stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (low fat can work)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ ea. chopped green onion or ½ tsp dried chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped (or two hard boiled egg whites and a bit of oil olive oil to make up the difference)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika (optional)
- Lettuce (optional)
- Drain and squeeze tuna dry, discarding liquid or reserving for some other use.
- Combine tuna, apple, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, green onion, egg, and pepper.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or more.
- Sprinkle with paprika and trim with lettuce, if desired.