Cookbook:Tourte à la Lorraine
Tourte à la Lorraine is an elaborate meat pie with a pâte brisée (pie dough) base and a puff pastry top which is baked. Ten minutes before the end of the baking period, a savoury egg-and-cream custard is poured through a hole in the pie crust and returned to the oven to set.
Yield: 1 tourte
- 4 oz. Puff pastry
- 4 oz. Pie dough
- 4 oz Fresh pork
- 4 oz. Veal
- 1 cup Riesling
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 4-spice powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs (1 yolk + 1 whole egg)
- Marinate the meat cut into medium dice in the Riesling, salt, pepper. 4 spices, shallots, garlic #and onion minced, chopped parsley, bay leaves, thyme and cloves.
- Marinate for 48 hours.
After 48 hours:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Press the pie dough into a buttered and floured pie dish or cake pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place the meat on the pie dough leaving a narrow border all around the edge. Cover the meat with the puff pastry taking care to moisten with a little water to glue the edges together.
- Brush the surface with egg yolk and make a small chimney in the middle (you may use a tube of cardboard covered with foil). Make a pleasing design on the surface of the pastry with a tip of a small knife.
- Bake in a hot oven for 45 min.
- During this time, beat the egg and yolk with the cream. Season with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Remove the pie from the oven and with the help of a funnel pour the cream mixture through the chimney. This operation is a bit delicate. One needs to add a little at a time and then tilt the pan to disperse the liquid throughout the pie.
- Return to the oven for 10 min.