Cookbook:Tomato Pizza(Redirected from Cookbook:Tomato Pie)
A food that is popular in Italy and the north east USA, Tomato Pie is a type of Pizza. Sometimes mistakenly considered an American dish, it is commonly found in bakeries throughout Italy and other countries, where it is simply called Pizza and is often bought and consumed on the spot.
Tomato Pie is generally made with canned tomatoes. In the USA, it is usually served at room temperature, however many bakeries, where it is often bought as fast food, will reheat slices upon request.
Many bakeries and pizzerias have their own variation on the basic recipe.
The basic recipe features thick pizza dough covered with a thick tomato sauce. After cooking the pizza is sprinkled with grated Romano cheese.
- Preheat oven to 250C (450°F).
- Stretch the pizza dough to cover a greased baking sheet. Dough should be about 3cm (3/4") thick.
- Allow the dough to rise while the sauce is prepared.
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic.
- Sauté until garlic is just golden.
- Add crushed tomatoes and oregano.
- Cook until the sauce is thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the sauce until it is room temperature.
- Top the pizza dough with mozzarella cheese, then any toppings such as sausage or pepperoni, then top with sauce, bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- After removing the tomato-pie from the oven, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and then let the pizza cool to room temperature.
Serve at room temperature or reheat under the broiler or in a toaster-oven.