Tod Mun (Thai fish cakes) can be found sold on the streets of Thailand and are a popular snack. At home they are perfect for an appetizer. There are many different recipes. The most common variant uses both fish and shrimp; this is the basic fish recipe.
- Stack the lime leaves and roll them together into a tube shape. Slice them into thin strips.
- Slice the green beans into small (½ inch) pieces.
- Mince the fish.
- Mix all the ingredients except the green beans and lime leaves in a bowl.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the green beans and lime leaves to the mixture and stir again.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat to a medium temperature.
- Drop a tablespoon of the mixture into the pan and flatten slightly. When the bottom is cooked, turn over.
- When cooked on both sides, place on a paper towel to drain any extra oil. Continue with the rest of the mixture.
- If fresh Kaffir lime leaves are not available, do not substitute dried leaves as this will not work, and it is better to leave them out altogether.
- You may substitute the fish with chicken.