|Energy||200 Cal (800 kJ)|
|Time||15 minutes + 1 hour refrigeration|
Tiramisù means "pick me up" in Italian and aptly describes this dessert traditionally made from savoiardi or ladyfingers or sponge cake, espresso coffee, mascarpone cheese, egg whites, yolk and sugar. The biscuits are sprinkled with strong coffee, and then embedded in a thick rich custard.
Ingredients for 6–8 peopleEdit
- Make espresso coffee, let it cool a bit.
- Separate the egg yolks and the whites of two eggs in two bowls.
- Beat sugar into the egg yolks.
- Beat the Mascarpone into the sweetened yolks.
- Add two more egg whites to the other two and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Fold gently egg whites into Mascarpone mixture.
- Quickly dip both sides of the ladyfingers in the espresso.
- Layer soaked ladyfingers and Mascarpone in a large bowl or pan (start with fingers, finish with mascarpone).
- Sprinkle unsweetened cocoa powder on top just befor to serve.
- Refrigerate for one hour or two.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Savoiardi are the traditional biscuits used with this recipe, rather than ladyfingers. Sponge cake can also be used.
- Is common but not in original recipe use marsala wine (or brandy or cognac)or Amaretto di sarono with the coffee.
- Cream can be used as an alternative to Mascarpone cheese. Whisk 3/4 pint to 1 pint of double cream until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar and continue from step 2.
- Full-fat spread cheese can be used as an alternative to mascarpone; add some cream to taste.
- There is also an Atkins friendly recipe.
- In this recipe the term "ladyfingers" refers to a kind of biscuit or cake, NOT to okra, which would be an interesting variation.
- Whether thickening with egg whites or cream, ensure it is stiff before adding to the other ingredients; if it is not stiff, the tiramisu will not set properly.
Tiramisu recipe from The Italian Chef.
Step-by-step illustrated recipes at Anna Maria's Open Kitchen.
Inspiration on alternative ways to accomplish the recipe and serve it at Tiramisu Amore Mio
The official site of creator of Tiramisu
The first reciper from the original author of first Tiramisu