- 500 g plain yogurt
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1–2 cucumbers, diced (diced is far better than grated, although at many restaurants they grate them)
- a couple of spoonfuls chopped dill
- Salt, to taste
- Vinegar, to taste
- Oil, to taste
- a couple of spoonfuls chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients and serve cold in a soup dish. Use enough water so the soup is about the consistency of milk. Add a couple ice cubes if it's not cold.
Notes, tips, and variations
- If you use all of the above ingredients without the water and strain the yogurt until it becomes half in volume, you can make a salad. It is referred to as snezhanka (Snow White) or mlechna salata (yogurt salad). The main difference is that people traditionally use pickles/gherkins for snezhanka and fresh cucumbers for mlechna salata.