Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Slice tofu into 2.5 centimeters (1.0 in) cubes (preferably).
- Spread out the tofu in a cookie sheet or a baking sheet and bake it for 20–25 mins at 170–190 °C (340–370 °F). This releases the extra water from the tofu and dries it out to be able to absorb the marinade.
- Mix the spices, tomato sauce (or tomato paste), yogurt and oil in a bowl.
- Let the tofu marinate well (about 8hrs) in this gravy. May be left in the refrigerator while marinating.
- After marinating, skewer the tofu onto skewers and grill it on a barbecue grill.
- If a grill is not available, arrange the tofu pieces on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 170 °C (338 °F), then broil for another 20 mins at 170 °C (338 °F) on the middle shelf.
- If dry tofu is not preferred, then bake the tofu with the marinade in a baking dish for 30–40 minutes at 170 °C (338 °F) and then broil for 20–25 mins at 170 °C (338 °F).
- To make this vegan, substitute the yogurt with soymilk
- Try serving with rice or naan, and garnish with fresh-chopped cilantro or with fresh onions and cucumbers.