Cookbook:Tamate Ka Kut (Hyderabadi Tomato Curry)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Tamate Ka Kut is a tomato curry of Hyderabadi cuisine.
- 10 large, ripe tomatoes, washed and quartered
- ⅓ cup besan/gram flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seed powder
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 8 curry leaves (karyapaak)
- 2 whole garlic clove (lahsun), crushed
- 2 dried red chillies, each split into two
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (kothmir), finely chopped
- Fresh mint (pudina)
- 1 dollop heavy cream (optional)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Put the quartered tomato pieces in a large non-stick sauce pan on medium low heat. Add a cup of water to it, mix, and cover with the lid. Let it cook till the tomatoes are mushy and soft. Keep giving it a stir every once in a while. Let it cool. Once cooled, pour into a blender container and add the gram flour. Blend till pureed. If you are using canned crushed tomato, add the gram flour to it and mix well.
- Strain this mixture through a wire mesh strainer back into the saucepan. Throw away the left over seeds and skin in the strainer. Add 2 cups water to it and let it cook on simmer.
- Pour oil into a small frying pan at medium heat and throw in the cumin seeds, whole red chillies, garlic pod and curry leaves when the oil heats up. As they start to splutter, remove from heat and add this to the tomato sauce being cooked in the saucepan.
- Add the cumin and coriander seed powder, red chilli powder and salt to the sauce and mix well. Bring it to a boil, and let it cook at medium low heat until the raw aroma of gram flour is gone. You can add a little water to it if required. Taste and adjust the salt and chilli powder.
- Take the eggs and make light slits on the egg on all 4 sides of it making sure the slits are not deep into the yolk, just on the surface. Add these to the simmering tomato sauce. Cook the tomato sauce until the raw smell of the gram flour is gone, about 30 minutes. Keep stirring it occasionally.
- Once it is cooked, just before you serve, stir in the chopped cilantro and mint.
- Pour it into a warm bowl and serve it warm.