- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). If using a Dutch oven, preheat with 16-18 glowing charcoal briquettes, with 3 times as many on the top as on the bottom.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar, if used.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, egg, and melted butter or olive oil.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined, no longer.
- Immediately pour into the greased pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- Over-mixing after adding together the liquid and dry mixtures will toughen the batter!