Cookbook:Sunglow Motel-Cafe Pickle Pie
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Desserts
The Sunglow Motel-Cafe in Bicknell, Utah serves the unique Pickle Pie, developed by Cula Ekker. This is their recipe, as it appeared in a Salt Lake Tribune article that is framed and hangs on the cafe's wall.
For 2 pies:
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp light cream
- ⅛ cup margarine, melted
- 12 oz sweet pickles, drained and ground
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- Beat eggs and sugar until lemon colored and thick; beat in cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon extract, cornstarch, cream and margarine.
- Stir ground sweet pickles into mixture.
- Pour pickle mixture into unbaked pie shells.
- Bake at 350°F for 1–1.25 hours, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.