Simple syrup, also known as sugar syrup or bar syrup, is a sweetener. It is often used to sweeten cold beverages, in which solid sugar will not readily dissolve. As its name suggests, simple syrup is very easy to prepare. Prepared syrup can be refrigerated for up to a week.
- Combine the sugar and cold water in a saucepan.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- When all of the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. This should only take a few minutes.
- Transfer to a storage container, and refrigerate until needed.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- Food coloring can be added to make differently colored syrups.
- Flavors and extracts can be added after the sugar dissolves, to create flavored syrups.
- The ratio of sugar and water can be changed to make thinner or thicker syrup. Alternately, one can add pectin to make it gel.