Cookbook:Stuffed Bell Peppers
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Variation I – TraditionalEdit
- 3 bell peppers
- 500 g (½ lb) ground meat of your choice (e.g. beef, pork, or a mixture)
- 0.5 L (16 ounces) canned tomato sauce
- 100 g (½ cup) uncooked rice (any type)
- Wash peppers. Use a thin and sharp knife to carefully cut around the stem end and form a 5 cm (2 in) circle to open the pepper. Save this piece. Use a spoon or knife cut inside to remove remaining seeds and white membrane. Then rinse again inside and out, and put aside.
- Boil rice in a medium pot with one cup of water, boil for 15 minutes and rice aside.
- Cook your meat of choice to fill peppers with, and ensure that the fat is drained, if applicable.
- Mix rice, meat, and one tablespoon of sauce together in bowl.
- Using your fingers, stuff peppers with mixture until full, cover with pepper top which was set aside.
- Place in small pot and ensure they will not tip over, then pour in remaining sauce and leftover meat-rice mixture.
- Add water until it covers the peppers two thirds of the way, then cover with a lid.
- Cook under medium to high heat (watch so it does not boil over), about twenty-five minutes for soft peppers, less if you prefer peppers that are firmer. All ingredients are at this point pre-cooked, and safe to eat.
- Remove and plate with sauce from pot.
Variation II – High fatEdit
- 4 bell peppers (assorted colors), stemmed and seeded
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 strips bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Combine cheese, bacon, butter, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Place into a piping bag without a tip and pipe into each pepper.
- Place on an ungreased half-sheet pan. Bake in a 375°F oven about 35 minutes, or until browned and bubbly on top.
- Serve immediately.