- Cut the beef into cubes about 2.5 cm (1 in) square.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, without letting it colour.
- Add beef, making sure the meat is at room temperature first, and cook until medium brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook until dark brown (about 1 minute)
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme, marjoram, mustard, bay leaf and seasoning.
- Slowly add beef stock and ale, then bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently until beef is almost tender, approximately 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Remove meat from heat, skim off any fat, adjust seasoning and add fresh chopped parsley.
- Place in pie dish or individual dishes. Cover pie dish (or dishes) with the pastry and trim edges.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until pastry is well-risen and golden brown.