Cookbook:Spicy Roast Brisket
This recipe is for a spicy beef brisket roast. It may be served with mashed potatoes.
For 4–6 servings:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 kg (2 pound) piece of beef brisket
- 1 cup sliced or coarsely-chopped onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced stalk of celery
- 2 tsp minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp toasted, ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- ¼–½ cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bell pepper, green or red, thinly sliced
- 1 medium or hot chili pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in large heavy pot, add brisket, and brown on all sides.
- Push meat to the side. Add onions and celery, and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, peppercorns, mustard, oregano, salt, and stir in.
- Add tomatoes, beef stock, vinegar, sugar, and bay leaves. Add the tomato juice if desired.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water, cover pot, and cook for 2 hours on low heat.
- Inspect regularly to make sure there is enough liquid, adding water if necessary.
- 30 minutes before serving, add bell and chili peppers.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- If using a larger piece of brisket, adjust other quantities accordingly.
- While cooking, do not add cold liquid to the meat, and make sure to pour not cold tomatoes on top of the meat. Otherwise, the meat can become hard.