Shakshuka is a popular Middle Eastern dish with many variations; and is vegetarian-friendly.
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 4-5 plum tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- pepper (red or green)
- 1 tsp. basil or black pepper (not recommended)
- cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric to taste
Variations can include:
- Tuna and garlic.
- Cheese on top.
- Bread inside.
- 1 frying pan
- 1 cutting board
- 1 kitchen knife
- Peel and chop the onion and fry it in the oil until it turns translucent.
- Chop the tomatoes and pepper and add to the onion in the pan.
- Add herbs and spices.
- Cover and let cook until the tomatoes are evenly cooked through (around 25 minutes on low heat).
- With a wooden spoon, make two holes in the onion-tomato mix.
- Break and pour each egg into its own hole.
- Cover and let cook until the eggs are firm (around 5 more minutes).
- Serve with bread.