- 6 Tablespoons of frying olive oil
- One Tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- One large sweet red pepper diced
- One Chili pepper (red or green) diced
- 6 ripe tomatoes diced
- Ground fresh black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 eggs
- On a high flame, heat the oil for about half a minute. Add the paprika and blend well.
- Add the garlic and peppers, and turn to low flame. Cook for about ten minutes - until the peppers have slightly softened.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil, then season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Make six dents in the mixture. Into each dent put an egg yolk, and spread the egg whites around.
- Continue to cook on low until the egg whites have coagulated.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Serve the Shakshouka with black bread and fresh parsley.
- You may also add to the mixture pieces of sausage.
- In an Egyptian variation, a little sugar is added to the tomato sauce and the eggs are scrambled into the liquor, it can be eaten hot or cold.