- Fry fish in olive oil until well cooked. Remove the fish and allow to cool.
- Fry the chopped onions in the same oil until well browned. Meanwhile, debone the fried fish, reserving the cooked fillets to be served over the rice.
- Add the head, bones and skin of the fish to the fried onions and cook with 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes, or for a longer time in an open pan.
- Strain the broth and boil the rice in it using 1–4 cups of broth for each cup of rice (this will depend on the absorbency of the rice you use).
- Simmer the rice on low heat so that most of the broth is absorbed.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Some of the broth may be flavored with a few drops of lemon and served on the side as a sauce for this dish.