|Time||15 minutes, plus 1 hour baking|
Rhubarb crumble is a traditional British dessert. Served traditionally with custard (though you can of course serve with cream or ice cream) it is a hearty, filling, and warm feast, best served after a light meal. We have included two recipes in this page: some people like to make the crumble topping with oats, and some just with flour.
Recipe version 1Edit
This version is a flour-based crumble topping, and simply uses rhubarb and sugar as the filling (unlike the cornstarch etc in version 2). The rhubarb juice acts as a sufficient sauce.
- 400g rhubarb, cut into pieces roughly about 1.5 cm long (no need to be consistent)
- 15g (2 Tbsp) light brown sugar
- 75g butter or marge
- 100g plain flour
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 50g sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- Rinse and drain the rhubarb pieces, and place them in a deep ovenproof dish. Add the light brown sugar and mix briefly.
- Put the flours in a mixing bowl. Add the butter/marge to this bowl - not in one large lump, in pieces. With your fingers (not the palms of your hands), rub the marge into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over this mixture, and mix them in briefly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit, making a complete layer. Do not press the topping down - you want it light and crumbly.
- Put the dish in the oven (no lid) for 35-45 minutes until crisp and a bit brown.
Serve with custard.
Recipe version 2Edit
This version uses oats in the crumble mixture, and also is rather unusual in putting some crumble mixture as a layer on the bottom (not just on top).
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cup uncooked cut up rhubarb
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch/cornflour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix brown sugar, oats, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Press 1/2 of mixture into a 9 inch square pan.
- Cover crumb mixture with cut up rhubarb.
- Mix white sugar, cornstarch and water. Cook until clear and thick, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour over rhubarb. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 180°C.
Recipe version 3Edit
- 500 gm (1 lb) fresh trimmed rhubarb
- 75 gm (3 oz) caster sugar
- 2 tbsps water
- 150 gm (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 75 gm (3 oz) butter
- 100 gm (4 oz) brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Cut the rhubarb into pieces and stew for a short time with the caster sugar and water until tender.
- While the rhubarb is stewing, in a bowl mix the flour & butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Place the cooked rhubarb in a deep pie dish (1 lt / 2 pt).
- Spoon over the crumble topping and spread out evenly
- Cook crumble for about 25 mins until the crumble is golden brown.