- Wash and clean raisins and add the cold water and 1½ cups of sugar.
- Cook until the raisins are tender and plump.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 440°F.
- Mix the flour, 1½ cups of sugar, and the shortening, crumbling well with the fingers. Take out 1 cup of these crumbs and set aside.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add the eggs and milk; mix well.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Line 2 large pie tins with pie crust and fill with cooked raisins. Pour over this the batter and sprinkle the top with the cup of reserved crumbs.
- Bake in a hot oven at 440°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderate oven (350°F) and finish baking, about 35 minutes.