Cookbook:Queen of Puddings
|Queen of Puddings
Queen of puddings is a favourite English bread pudding served with an apricot glaze and a soft meringue topping.
- Heat the milk, sugar, lemon zest and butter until just below the boil.
- Pour onto the bread crumbs and allow the whole to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the bread crumb and milk mixture.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the top with the warmed jam, being careful not to break the surface of the pudding.
- Whip the egg whites with the vanilla sugar and a few drops of lemon juice until the mixture reaches soft peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the pudding. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the meringue has browned.
- Serve as is or with crème anglaise.